Residence permit for foreign students in China
Updated: 2014-02-25

I. Foreign students studying in Shanghai
II. Procedure:
Required documents:
1. Foreigner’s Visa and Residence Permit Application Form and one recent photo
2. Certificate issued by the police substation of the area where you are resident if you are living outside the campus
3. Passport and visa
4. Health Certificate issued by Shanghai health quarantine department (15, Jinbang Road, Changning district);
5. Letter of application of your school, Form JW201 or JW 202 and the matriculation notice
A foreign student studying in Shanghai can apply for a residence permit for the same period as the period of study, for a maximum of five years.
Applicants under the age of 18 or above the age of 70, or an applicant who extends the Residence Permit within three months following its expiration, are not required to submit a Health Certificate.
For the first application, the applicant must apply in person but, for the second application, the applicant’s school or a family member can apply on behalf of the applicant.
III. Business Hours:
Monday-Saturday 9:00-17:00
Credentials are only handled on Saturday
Note: Address: 1500, Minsheng Rd, Pudong New Area
IV. Your case will be handled within five working days, if all the required documents are submitted.
V. Fee: For details, see the Visa Fee Standard of Reciprocal Countries and Non-Reciprocal Countries, the State Development and Planning Commission and the Ministry of Finance [J. J. G. (2003) No.392]
VI. Information: +86-21-2895-1900
VII. Supervisor: +86-21-6854-7109

Copyright © 2019 Shanghai Municipal Education Commission. All rights reserved.